Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 877-721-7201
Phone: 732-967-9110
Joseph M. Ghabour & Associates LLC

I'm Evacuating for a Hurricane. What do I do?

Aside from clothing, medicine, and other household items evacuation means being ready for the worst. 

If you have to evacuate, you'll want to take necessary and hard-to-replace documents. Here's a list of what should be in a waterproof, lockable container you can easily grab. If you might evacuate, that is you're where a storm could hit, it's wise to gather up these items:

  • Banking information checkbook, savings account passbook, safe deposit box key
  • Birth, death and marriage certificates, divorce decree
  • Will and power of attorney
  • Social Security card and records
  • Military records
  • Medical records (living will, health care surrogacy, etc.)
  • Insurance policies
  • Health insurance cards
  • Retirement account records
  • Recent pay stubs, in case you have to document employment to collect benefits
  • Tax returns
  • Car titles and registrations
  • Mortgage deeds or rental agreements
  • All of your credit cards
  • Passports and/or green cards
  • Hard copy list of important phone numbers (relatives, bank and insurance company)
  • DVD or flash drive on which you back up computer files just before you shut down the computer and evacuate
  • If possible Home inventory (on paper, disc, flash drive or video; you should keep another copy in a safe place, maybe at work or at the home of a relative out of state)

Don't forget any family photographs that you could never replace. And good luck! May you return to find your home safe and sound.

Joseph M. Ghabour
Connect with me
Auto, Bus, Pedestrian, Motorcycle accident, medical malpractice and worker's compensation attorney.

Live Chat