Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 877-721-7201
Phone: 732-967-9110
Joseph M. Ghabour & Associates LLC

The other driver is at fault and my car is damaged....who pays to repair my car?

The answer to this question requires your answer to a question--do you have collision coverage on your own auto insurance policy? Collision coverage is commonly known as "full coverage" (although full coverage requires comprehensive coverage as well--theft, fire, etc). If you have collision coverage, you can opt to have your own insurance company repair your car. If you chose this option, you will be responsible for paying the deductible on your collision coverage and, when your company surrogates against the other driver's insurance company, you will get your deductible back. This process can take up to 6 months or so if the other driver's insurance company disputes liability (which is to say that they do not believe their driver is fully at fault). The other option is to have the other driver's insurance company pay for the repair. This second option is only available if the other driver's insurance company accepts responsibility for the accident.

Live Chat