The warmer weather should inspire us to get out and get fit. A bike ride is a great way to enjoy the weather while getting a great cardio workout. Here are a few essential pieces of equipment to ensure you're safe on the roads:
- Helmet - (This article reviews 2017 helmets; Click here for more on helmet safety.)
- Elbow & Knee Pads (for children, this is a must!)
- Reflective Gear or Flashers (This nifty bike lane laser can definitely help! And check out these reflective stickers!)
- Water Bottle (don't forget a holster)
- Sunscreen (Minimum SPF 30)
- Bananas are rich in potassium for weary muscles
- Trail mix packs a carbohydrate punch, in addition to healthy fats
- Energy bars help sustain for those longer rides (whole-food bars are ideal)
- First Aid Kit (This kit is designed with cyclists in mind)
- Protective Eyewear (Find some great selections here)
- Medical Info (Click here for a free printable Emergency Contact Card)
- Spare tube and/or patch kit
There are many resources and options available to get the basics for bike riding. We hope this list gets you excited about prepping for those spring rides. For more on bike safety, request our free book, Safe & Secure: A Guide to Keeping Your Child Safe.
Enjoy the season!