Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 877-721-7201
Phone: 732-967-9110
Joseph M. Ghabour & Associates LLC

Uninsured Pedestrians

In NJ uninsured pedestrians or bicyclists injured in an accident with a private passenger auto or commercial vehicle maybe entitled to coverage under the NJ Unsatisfied Claim and Judgment Fund,.  The claim must be filed within 180 days of the accident with NJPLIGA (Property-Liability Insurance Guaranty Association) and you must also meet some other requirements.

You are not eligible to collect from the UCJF if any of the following are true:

  1. The injuries or death are covered by workers’ compensation. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  2. You are the spouse, parent or child of the judgment debtor (person against whom the claim is made). N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  3. At the time of accident, you were operating or riding in a motor vehicle which you had stolen or helped to steal or were operating or riding in a motor vehicle without the owner’s permission. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  4. You were the owner or registrant of an uninsured vehicle. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  5. The judgment debtor was insured at the time of accident and the insurance company is liable to pay part or all of the judgment. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  6. The claim is covered by uninsured motorist coverage, collision insurance, extended fire or other insurance. N.J.S.A. 17:28-1.1.
  7. The damage to your vehicle or property is covered by an insurance policy. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  8. Your claim is for property damage of $500 or less. N.J.S.A. 39:6-73.
  9. The claim is for property damage caused by a hit and run motor vehicle. N.J.S.A. 39:6-78.
  10. You were operating a motor vehicle in violation of an order of suspension or revocation. N.J.S.A. 39:6-70.
  11. The accident occurred outside the State of New Jersey. N.J.S.A. 39:6-65.


Joseph M. Ghabour
Connect with me
Auto, Bus, Pedestrian, Motorcycle accident, medical malpractice and worker's compensation attorney.

Live Chat