Safety is an important issue year-round but its emphasis is even greater during the summer season. Kids are out of school, families are on vacation and the warm weather has everyone outdoors enjoying the beautiful weather. Those factors can, of course, lead to unsafe situations and regrettable accidents.
As part of our commitment to safety and security, we want to share a few simple tips that could help keep you and your loved ones safer this summer.
Five Essential Summer Safety Tips:
- Always swim with a buddy. Never swim alone. It doesn’t matter how good of a swimmer you are. When swimming alone, one can quickly find themselves in an unexpected, urgent situation with no one around to help them. Always swim with a buddy.
- Keep the grillat least 10 feet from any structures. Too many people will lose their homes or experience significant property damage because the grill got out of control. Fire is dangerous and should always be treated with respect. Keep the grill at least 10 feet, ideally 20+ feet from your home, garage, shed or other structure.
- Leave the fireworks to the pros. Like all these tips, this should be easy. Fireworks are super-heated explosives. Don’t handle them. The pros are trained and paid to do the job. Let them do it.
- Take a cab, Uber or Lyft. Summer is the season of celebrations. Late nights, good music and close friends or family are part of the fun. But when the fun is over and it’s time to go home, call a cab or order an Uber or Lyft. The personal, career and financial risks of a DWI conviction are enormous. If you drink, have a designated driver, call a cab or grab a ride share.
- Be smart! Most of these safety tips involve making smart, common sense decisions. Don’t let the weather, the celebrations or the crowds sway you from good decision-making. Most of the time, staying safe means staying smart and making good decisions.